100 to 200yds Target Shooting

akinswi

I have a savage 12FVSS with a 26inch barrel. Buddy of mine and me are having a shooting competition here soon usually shoot between 100 and 200yds. Anybody have a good suggestion on bullets to use. I do not want to use a boattail bullet base, I know the flat base bullets perform well at these ranges better than the boattail "my buddy doesn't know this hehehe".

Twist in my barrel is 1:10
Powder I have is IMR4046
Primers are CCI 250's
Brass is Lapua fireformed to my gun only neck size cases.

Bullet weight suggestions would be wonderful

thanks

4runnerman

I have the FVSS also-If you are talking 308 or 223. Have killer loads for both.
As for BT bullets. I shot BT out of my 308 at all distances, never noticed a flat base to be more accurate, Maybe as accurate,but not more

dahermit

If you are just looking to shoot varmints and/or targets (not big game), Sierra has dominated target completion for years, albeit I do not know if they still do. I have used Sierra, Hornady and Speer target bullets with about equal sucess after working-up loads for them. The dedicated target bullets are almost always the better shooters (smaller goups), over hunting bullets.

jwrowland77

I'm going to guess .308 due to primers. Just a guess though.

If it is, I run 178gr Hornady BTHP Match bullet over 4064, but only difference is I use CCI BR2's for primers. Great little bullet.

trigger643

In my 112 BVSS .308 I quit loading flat base bullets some time ago as I didn't see any accuracy advantage at any distance from 100 to 1,000 yards. Mostly I've loaded Matchking 168 & 175 gr, but of late I've become enamored with Berger Match Hybrids and Match VLDs, even their Hunter Hybrids perform quite well (picked up a box of bullets by accident). But, I'm using IMR4895...

T. O'Heir

Use 150 or 155 grain match bullets(MatchKings or A-Max, respectively) with your IMR4064. You must work up the load before you tangle with your buddy.
Doesn't matter if it's .308 or .30-06(the primer tells you nothing about chambering), but both cartridges love the 150's or 155's and IMR4064.

jersurf101

I use Berger 168 gr VLD's in my Savage 11 in .308 win.(the trophy package) The barrel is a 1/10 twist. 41 grains of 4064 is a good light load for me at 200 yards and under. I have worked up within half a grain of the book max with 4064 and this projectile with good results. It also shoots well with 4064 and 150gr Hornady SP's.

Jim Watson

Depends on what you and your bud are betting.

Don't worry about the difference between flatbase and boattail in a factory rifle. Sure, a score benchrest shooter will be using a flatbase .30 of 115-135 grains, but he has a rifle built for the purpose.

I think the 168 gr SMK would be a place to start. It was originally the Sierra International, optimized for 300 metres.

Jim243

Strange, use the boot tail bullets they will work fine, flat base bullets are for 100 to 150 yard competition but boat tails will go to sleep (stabilize) at 75 yards or so and be better on the 200 yard range. As to powder, I would switch to H-4895 or IMR-4895 and why in the world do you think you need magnum primers??

Stay safe and shoot straight.
Jim

Jimro

Get a box of Nosler Custom Competition 175gr HPBT bullets, buy in bulk.

Look for an accuracy node between 41.8 and 42.3 gr of IMR 4064 with your Lapua brass. Try to get some BR-2 primers though, or Wolf LR primers, or Fed GMM primers. Much more mild, which is a good thing.

Jimro

akinswi

Jim243, i have magnum primers because i shot alot of ball powder loads. I have always had great results with the magnum primers. Also i was told Bench rest primers were a waste of money. IMR4895 Is great for my m1, but the research i found 4064 is a little better in .308 and 30-06 but both great powders. I save all my imr4895 for m1

akinswi

Jim Watson, im interested to see what those bench rest shooters are loading in that 115 to 135grn range.

4runnerman

2.80 worked great. I can keep 10 shot groups inside a quarter at 300 yards all day with it. I shot FTR Class with that load to 1000 yards. Also being a bench shooter, I can telll you most use bench primers if not all. The number one primer for 308 is GM210M bench primer. I know RL-15 is very hard to find right now, but save that recipie for when you get some and give it a try. Now also-If you want to try the 175 Match bullets,just switch the recipie arond. Instead of 43.2 gns it's 42.3 gns.

Snyper

Try as many different bullets as you can

Since you're only shooting targets, the style doesn't matter
All that matters is how they group in your rifle.

There's little sense in trying expensive bullets with high BC's to punch paper at 200 yds, when a cheap bullet may do just as well