100% Reliable Brands.

(*_*)

What brands have you or your immediate family owned that have been 100% reliable (Not counting parts like recoil springs and magazine springs which have an expected service life)? What brands have not been reliable?

For me reliable so far = Beretta, Glock, HK, S&W (have only had revolvers), Remington (870 shotgun only), Benelli, Sako, CZ, Mosin Nagant, NAA, Bersa (got lucky maybe), FN, Walther

Unreliable so far = Sig, Ruger, Taurus, Colt, Saiga

chiefr

Most Rugers I have dealt with have been reliable with the exeption of a one first model 77. The ejector froze up and would not chamber a round. This was an embarassing situation for me at the range. When I returned home I removed the ejector, lubed and cleaned the spring and never had a problem again.

As a rangemaster, and not to be taken as a basher, I have seen plenty of problems with Taurus, LLama, RGs, Rem 742s, HiPoint, and HR single shot rifles.

FrankenMauser

That really depends on your definition of "reliable". So, according to my unspecified, arbitrary opinion of "reliable"....

100% reliable:
Browning*, Ruger*, Simonov.

Unreliable:
S&W, Taurus, Mossberg, Remington, Walther, Glock, Colt.

*(Even with broken or missing parts, due to stupid owners and/or operators - but not the firearm's fault.)

pgdion

For me 100% reliable has been:

Beretta

Stoeger (Beretta's Cougar)

Smith & Wesson (2nd and 3rd gen autos).

(*_*)

That really depends on your definition of "reliable"

Your 100% right I should have defined reliable.

reliable for me: It goes bang every time with good ammo and has the potential to fire follow up shots because it dosent break. It has never failed in operation other then recoil springs (which actually can break) or magazine issues (which wear out). I dont care if it was dropped and the uber cool adjustable screw sights fell off... Im looking for mechanical reliability to propel bullets in a safe manner over and over.

Note im not asking this with any preexisting expectations, I just want to see what others real world experience has been and see if I can pick out any trends.

Last edited:

Skans

Well, I know that the following guns of mine are completely Reliable:
Glock 17
S&W 659
Ruger LC9
Ruger AC556
Polytech AK
US made DCI/Polish parts AK
Steyr GB
BHP
EAA Witness Stock 10mm

Guns that are not 100% reliable:
Ruger Mark II (IMHO, no .22's are 100% reliable)
Desert Eagle - doesn't like Blaser aluminum cased ammo
STI Custom .45 - doesn't like reloads - especially with stretched cases

The fact that some guns are not 100% reliable doesn't make them bad - just means that they could be ammo sensitive or in the case of .22's dirty.

Amsdorf

It would be incredibly foolish to think that any brand is 100% reliable.

But, if I'd have to say....

It would be the HK MK23 .45ACP SOCOM pistol.

The thing is a beast.

1287727915.jpg

(*_*)

It would be incredibly foolish to think that any brand is 100% reliable
agree completely and am sure it dosent exist, am more interested in peoples personal experiences with reliability.

jmr40

This includes rifles, shotguns, and handguns.

100% reliable:

Ruger, Glock, Winchester, Benelli, Beretta, Browning, Sig, Kimber pistol, CZ rifle.

Less than 100%, but acceptable:

S&W, Springfield XD, Remington, Weatherby, Kimber rifle.

Unacceptable:

CZ 75, S&W Sigma, Savage, HK, Mossberg, every 1911 I've ever owned except S&W and Kimber.

To be honest about this. Anyone who posts is just posting a snapshot of their personal experience. Just because 1 person has a bad experience with a particular brand does not mean much. I doubt we could find 100 people that could say that any particular brand has been 100% for all of them.

You also have to consider when that particular gun was made. The 2 worst guns I ever ever owned were a Savage shotgun made in the 70's and a S&W Sigma made in the 80's. That should not be a reflection of the S&W guns made before or after, or of Savage rifles made today.

C0untZer0

I don't hold aluminum Blazzer against any gun. The guns are designed to eject brass.

While my Glocks and HK have been 100 reliable so far with the aluminum, I looked at the spent cases and noticed that my HK was punching neat little rectangular notches out of the rims.

I ran a box through my 17L and it worked. Since I can get them for $9.99 I probably will be shooting more of it through my Glock - but it's a range gun only.

But anyway, my H&K P7M8 has never had any failure of any kind from the moment I brought it out of the box in 1985.

m17s_guy

In a word.... None... no manufacturer of any product is 100% reliable.... that being said.....

Armalite and Colt have always treated me right... i have an Armalite m15 that has close to 20k rounds of wolf steel case bargain ammo through it with NO malfunctions.... My 1911's have always performed very well. Mostly though, its just like your car. no matter what make or model you will have good and bad apples. but if you take care of the machine like it should be, then it will take care of you.

Kreyzhorse

Reliable? That's open to a lot of discussion, but here is my experience.

100% Reliable: Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Glock, Springfield, Savage, Mossberg, Herters, and a few Russian Mil-Surplus rifles producted in the Tula Arsenal.

Not Reliable: Taurus.

Hal

What brands have you or your immediate family owned that have been 100% reliable (Not counting parts like recoil springs and magazine springs which have an expected service life)? What brands have not been reliable?

100% - Festool...anything made by Kreg.....&....Indian Head Pumpkin Seeds.

Nearly 100%
- FIE Titan GT380 has been nearly 100%. I just haven't shot it enough. Maybe 300 to 400 rounds.
- Raven .25. 100% - again, low (200 maybe?)
- Remington 870 - 100% so far.
- CZ75B
- Winchester - I did have my .44 mag trapper go down, but, it was mostly my fault for not checking it close enough to see that a screw had worked loose. The other Winchesters I have have been 100%, so I'll take the heat on that one.

Unreliable:
Davies - no surprise there.
Smith and Wesson - newer ones. IIRC, I had issues with like 5 of them. Mostly minor that were things that shouldn't have passed QC and/or the way the product itself is engineered.<-- .22a/.22s plastic buffer.

44 AMP

Staff
There are no 100% reliable brands. Own enough examples of even the best quality commercial guns and you will find some that are not 100%. Even individual guns that have been 100% reliable can only be considered to be 100% reliable so far!

Also, guns don't run without ammo, and getting 100% reliability out of ammo is always a case of... so far, even when you actually get it.

ITs got nothing to do with Brands, its about individual guns. Now, some brands have a very good reputation for producing good individual guns, but nobody is 100%, and even the very best are only the best..so far...

or at least that's the way I look at it.;)

Webleymkv

The only brand of gun that I personally own which has never given me any issues at all is Webley, though I haven't owned my Webley all that long so issues could possibly arise in the future. That is not to say that the Webley is the only gun I own that's never had an issue; I've got S&W's that have never had issues either, but I own other S&W's that have had minor issues so the brand as a whole doesn't get the 100% mark.

Honestly, no brand of gun is 100% reliable and I don't get too hung up on it. While most of the guns I've owned have given me some sort of issue at one time or another, such instances certainly aren't common (I wouldn't continue to own a gun that had chronic issues) and as long as the situation remains that way I just realize that nothing man-made is perfect and go on with my life.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Thread on this very topic in the handgun forum.

I agree with 44 AMP. Nothing is ever 100% reliable over the long haul. Some are better than others.

More examples lead to higher likelihood of failure of one of the examples.... if you flip a coin you have a 50% chance of getting heads. If you flip 1000 coins, you have a VERY high probability of getting at least one tail.

My gun might be 100% reliable. So might yours. If there's 1000 of them, one of them (or more) is NOT reliable.

Sarge

I'll qualify the following by saying that I reload and I experiment with very light pest loads. Until you get those sorted out, you'll have a few fail to cycle. Beyond that however, post 95 Colt 1911s, Sig P22X series, Glocks in general, the Springfield XD (except SWC reloads) and the S&W Sigma have all been 100% for me with factory loads or good reloads. I haven't tried everything so it's a limited sample.

Edited to add: All the Beretta 92/96 pistols I've owned, shot or seen fired were flawless.

Last edited: