10 year old smokeless powder ?

rebs

I bought a 5 lb jug of alliant reloader 15 powder and upon getting home I noticed the date on the jug is 2009, wow 10 year old powder ! I called alliant and talked to a tech guy who said there has been no formulation change and it is the exact same powder made today. He also said to put some on a piece of white paper and roll it around looking for any color other than gray or charcoal gray, any other color is not good. Also put a bout a tea spoon of it in a small pile with a small trail about 8 inches and light it and see if the trail burns completely or hesitates or sputters. also smell it and see if it stinks.
I still have to do what he says and see what happens.
Have any of you guys used 10 year old powder ?

D Michalak

I've been using up 2 old cans of Hercules 2400 for .357 magnum loads. They are the square metal cans from the late 1960's or 1970's. I got them unopened from an estate sale along with some CCI primers from the same time period. It passed the smell test and white paper test so I loaded it up and they shoot just fine.

NoSecondBest

The first powder I ever bought was some that Hodgdon was selling back in the early 70's that was WW2 surplus. It worked fine. I have powder here right now that I bought ten years ago and it's still good. Ten years isn't that old. It's all about how it's stored anyway. Keep it away from high heat and humidity and if it's in a can with the lid on tight it will last a very long time.

RC20

As noted, I am still using Her powder from the 70s and Unique, Green Dot, AL-8 and ...... (pistols don't take much!)

If its been stored in non direct heat do the test they said and if it passes, it is good.

On the other hand that amazingly low turn over - I would ask for a discount!

rebs

I did the tests and it passed all three tests. I loaded ten rounds with my usual cases, bullet and charge weight and will compare for accuracy next time at the range.
I bought this 5 lb jug for 89.00 locally, it is 127.00 plus hazmat online. So it was a great price.

Reloadron

From our friends at SAAMI.

I have used powder I bought over 25 years ago. The powder was always stored in a cool dry place under ideal storage conditions. Proper storage is among the keys to powder longevity. as covered in the link along with the common sniff test and visual test.

Ron

krunchnik

My Dad received about 10 pounds of Super Balystyte-made in Italy around the 2nd world war that still worked fine-of coarse this was back in the 80's

Reloadron

So the powder was at least 30 years old. Worked fine and lasted a long time. :)
A member who has done quite a bit of research on powders and their aging process goes by Slamfire. Maybe he will see this thread and add a few things.

Ron

I think I still have a old Hercules hand loaders guide here stating back in the day Hercules Laboratory had a glass container filled with either water or alcohol covering a few pounds of pistol powder that was save from the very first batch of powder Hercules produced. A powder kept under lock & key and near 75 yrs old. In fact the powder jar'ed was sampled occasionally to test against similar powders made before Hercules changing of name. Hercules to Alliant in 1990 buy-out.

A couple containers of 4895 were passed to me from my wife's grampa. They were cardboard with metal top and bottom, and the cap was an unthreaded press in thimble. I also got his Hornady loading manual that he used for load data. I shot those cans and got really good results. This was in 2010. Best guess was the powder was bought in the late 70s. Thirty plus years old?

Geezerbiker

I had a can of IMR 4895 that was almost 10 years old and it was most certainly bad. I bought several can's of powder from an estate for around 6 bucks a pound and there was a half a can of 4895 that was more than 30 years old and it was still good.

I store my powders as recommended so they never get too hot or too cold so all I can think is this one was a bad batch. Other than that one can, I have several cans of powder that are in the 20 to 30 year old range and are still good. This includes a 16 pound keg of Red Dot (1/3rd full) that's so old the price tag on it is $38...

Tony

RC20

That is the key, if it does not meet the tests then pitch it - I have gotten old powder second hand that was bad (I did not pay much for it)

Some was in rusted and or broken down containers and was still good. Some not.

If it does pass the test, no issues for use. In my case temps in AK don't get much more than 80 and short periods of time. Its always been kept out of direct sun and has lasted fine. My brother had some same conditions and it had gone bad.

Put out in the sun in Arizona and ..........

T. O'Heir

It's all about how that powder has been stored.
Except that it's a 5 pound keg, it's kind of odd it'd still be on a dealer's shelf though. Five pounders don't normally sit around due to local ordinances about how much powder a dealer can have in his shop. If there are such a thing where you are. Five pounders are usually special orders.

Reloadron

Except that it's a 5 pound keg, it's kind of odd it'd still be on a dealer's shelf though. Five pounders don't normally sit around due to local ordinances about how much powder a dealer can have in his shop.

So I guess 12 pound cans are pretty scarce where you are? :)
Old%20Cans.png

Seriously around here 8 Lb canisters are pretty common. That includes small brick and mortar gun shops.

Ron

FrankenMauser

Much of my powder is at least 10 years old. Some of it dates to the '60s.

I need to load some .243 Win later. I plan to charge the cases with H380 that I bought in 1997.

Just this past November, I finally finished off my last tin of Remington .22 LR that my father purchased (in large quantities) in 1977. ...Best .22 LR I've fired in a very long time.

Most powders, when stored properly, will last a long time - whether in their original containers, or in loaded ammunition.