10 mm .... but which one ?

siloshooter

just looking , so far not even much of that , to buy a 10mm auto . the ria makes a hi capacity one . would be a fun trip to go with . how about a glock or a sig ? does either one of these come in hi cap ?
questions .... what are the price differential on the three mentioned ? which makes are apt to take a high round count ? and which makes are designed to fire from the ground up the 10 mm cartridge ?
also ..... are the polymer / aluminum frame guns rough in the recoil dept. ?
your opinions & experience on the purchase could be very helpful .
appreciated .

rock185

I've not owned a SIG 10MM, but I've owned several other manufacturers' 10MM pistols, to include a Bren Ten, Colt Delta, Kimber Eclipse, several S&W semi-autos, Ruger and S&W 10MM revolvers, etc. I've not owned an alloy framed 10MM, but recoil with the polymer framed Glock 20 wasn't bad. I suspect the Glock would be among the most durable with the "real" 10MM ammo. My favorites though are the discontinued S&W semi-autos (especially the 1006 and 1026) and the Model 610 revolvers. The S&W revolvers are the most accurate 10MMs I have ever fired, but expensive to acquire now days. The S&W semi-autos are robust and reliable with good accuracy, just not equal to the accuracy of the S&W revolvers. I have no current information on prices of the various 10MMs.

stagpanther

I bought a Glock 20 sf years ago--but that was right before the market responded with more models able to fire the real full power 10 load. It shoots OK, I find that getting a really good grip on it is a challenge--so probably someone with bigger hands and better technique can get better accuracy out of one than me. The biggest plus I like about it is that it is built very strong and is good to go for a multitude of caliber conversions. The original 20 sf's barrel was not supposed to be used with cast bullets--I don't know if that's still the case.

ritepath

As much as I hate glock, I must say the G40 and 20 would be on my list. I loved my 20 when I had it. I've been wanting a 40 since it come out.

P71pilot

I owned a generation 3 glock model 20 for about a year and a half, and sold it for something else because I couldn't shoot it well because the grip was too large for my hands. I liked the gun alot but it just did not come close to fitting me.

I believe the Sig 220 in 10mm should be a well made reliable weapon, although recently sig has had some quality control issues (like everyone else). The Sig will run you about $1000-$1500.

I personally like a 10mm 1911 best. The cheapest option would be Rock island examples, but honestly I wouldn't go with them for such a high pressure round that is know to crack and be hard on 1911 frames. the kimber custom TLE II, and eclipse Model which are priced about $750-$900 are next up, followed by the Colt Delta elite which will run you about $800-$1000. I believe one of your better options would be a Dan Wesson 1911 in 10mm, which used could run $1000 but new could cost you $2000 just depending on the model.

I am in love with the Dan Wesson bruin, and would love to one day own one.

Real 10mm loads really do pack some power, about 200gr at 1300fps out of a 6" barrel. This can batter a gun pretty, there are EAA tanfoglio options prices below the rock islands, but I do not trust them myself and so did not include them.

10mm ammunition is rather expensive unless you handload. Expect to pay on average $30-$38 per 50 of watered down .40S&W powered loads.

If I was a slightly wealthier man I would get me a Dan Wesson 10mm, but I am content with my Springfield 1911 on .45 and it sees all my pistol needs just fine. I will even try to harvest a white tail deer this season with it

P71pilot

I believe S&W 1006 pistols are going from $650-$1000 at this time. They are very desirable and alot of people hang onto em. They will only go up in value. I'd love to have one

Skans

10 round magazine is not "high capacity". The Tanfoglio Stock II is advertised at 17+1 rounds (probably more like 16+1). The Glock20 is 16+1. Either way, that's a fist full of 10mm!!!

98 220 swift

Don't forget about the witness line of pistols. My elite match hold 14+1 and has a awesome trigger. It was only $600 plus tax at a local dealer nib. I bought some wolf springs for it and it has digested some pretty stout loads. Only compliant is it throws brass very far making them difficult to find for reloading which is something to consider because 10mm is very expensive to buy especially the hot stuff.

boatdoc173

my suggestions are

sig p220(I like the Kryptec)

Colt delta elite

dw bruin

sorry none o are high capacity but all are great shooters

good luck

RickB

I don't think there is a single gun that was designed from the ground-up as a 10mm?
Even the original 10, the Bren Ten, started out as a .45, which I think most all 10mm pistols did.

A buddy of mine has blown-up his Glock 20 twice, so you can conclude that it's very tough for surviving, or there's something wrong that it blows up?
Most of my 10mm experience is with a Delta Elite, and it's a great gun.
I've never seen a reason to shoot full-power loads at targets that can't tell how powerful the load is, but if you want to shoot nothing but full power, then there are apparently guns better able to take the constant pounding.
I have a few hundred rounds through the resurrected G20, but with competition loads it may as well have been .40 S&W.

If you really want high capacity, check out the RIA Big Rock, a 17-round, six-inch/longslide 10mm. It should give you ~50fps on shorter guns.

I've handled a Witness Stock II, and it is a really beautiful gun, very comfortable through the grip for a hi-cap. There were mag problems with Witness 10s for many years, but they apparently have it squared away.

Lohman446

I know it won't be popular but my opinion is you are buying a 10MM for use and rough carry. Nothing beats a Glock for that use. Otherwise you are buying one to shoot at the range, take great care of, and have. To me that is a Wilson Custom Combat.

Your use and budget will determine which. My belief is that if the FBI had gone with a 10MM Glock originally it would still be the standard round. I'm not sure if its bore axis, polymer frame, grip angle, or what but I am amazed at how useable even full power 10MM rounds are in a G29

Dirty_Harry

I haven't experienced others, but I love my Glock 20. Powerful, very accurate, and high capacity. It's ugly, but I don't worry about it when I hit it against trees or brush I don't care.

Fairly reasonable as well

dakota1911

I have a classic Delta Gold Cup and a DW in 10mm, so both single stack 1911 designs. They are fine for what I use them for. Also 10mm is a lot more interesting if you reload.

You might check out the 10mm forum if you haven't already.

http://10mm-firearms.com/

siloshooter

ok ....

since posting , what little research i have done leads to the glocks and the witness pistols are looking really good . the smiths seem to be pricey , what ones i have seen .

stagpanther

I'd take a hard look at the new sigs--they were made "post wimpy 40 S&W power level 1911's" and models are specifically made for the full-power load--especially 6" hunting barrel applications. If I had da bucks dat be what I do. : )

siloshooter

add this up

there is some info floating around about the durability of the witness line of guns . read somewhere that some had crack frames after 2-3 thous rounds . is this a valid observation ??
i'm not sayin people have not seen what they have seen but i would reason a gun that has been on the market for many years should have been made correct by now.
if it wasnt for that little tid bit , i would be leaning toward the witness heavily .... like the looks and design of the gun , not to mention the price .

testuser79

I've owned the Glock 20, two EAA Witness models in 10mm (Match and Fullsize with wonder finish), and the Sig P220 in 10mm.

- Glock 20. Light weight, bluky grip. By far the hardest to control/most recoil and hard on my brass. I'd compare the recoil to a K-frame revolver firing stout .357 mag loads. Glock 40 might be better, but Glock honestly needs to offer the pistol with a single stack mag to reduce the fat grip.

Lots of accessories. Not bad, not great, but an average pistol in all regards. Magnaporting help this pistol some. Slow shot recovery time with powerful ammo. Physics rules, lightweight guns are comfortable to carry, but not the fastest to shoot or easiest to control, especially in a hard recoiling caliber like 10mm.

- Witness Pistol. Iffy quality control, at least the magazine issues have been fixed with the new K10 mags. Had loads of quality problems with the Witness Match, the Fullsize was better. This pistol is really great in .38 super.

Shooting dynamics were better than Glock, but disappointed in the customer service and limited factory support. Seemed like the cartridge was a little much for the design, throws brass everywhere. Heavy. A better shooter than the Glock, but I trust it less. Didn't like the fixed, milled front sight on the fullsize, since I really wanted night sights.

- Sig P220 / 10mm Single Action Only. Heavy. Low capacity. Excellent, excellent shooting dynamics. Comfortable to shoot and extremely accurate. Good aftermarket support, nice and thin with aluminum grips. Far more accurate in rapid fire due to the increase weight. Trigger is good, but not as good as a 1911. Factory night sights are a great touch.

In the end, I'd trade the lower capacity of the Sig for it's increased shooting capacity and increased accuracy. I probably shoot this pistol twice as fast as the Glock and more accurately. Capacity is great, but shot recover time matters a lot. I really didn't want to spend the money on the Sig P220, but don't regret selling the Witness and Glock 20 to buy it.

Last edited:

Oysterboy

I have a G29 and I got a pinky extension on the 10 rnd mags to control this beast. I also got a G20 magazine (15 rnd) with a sleeve for it.

Since there's only 4 mm difference between the 40sw and 10mm cases it's no problem shooting 40sw out of the 10mm pistol.