10 gauge

zippy13

The 10-ga had a resurgence in popularity when the lead shot prohibitions were introduced. The cheapest non-toxic replacement for lead was steel shot, but steel takes a lot more space, ounce for ounce, than lead shot. So, to shoot their "heavy" water fowl loads, folks looked for a steel gun with a greater capacity than their lead shooting 12-ga guns. The advent of non-toxic heavy shot and 3 1/2-inch 12-ga maxi-mags has taken a bite out of the 10-ga market.

AllenJ

I have a friend who got one just for waterfowling when the steel shot regulations went into effect. It's an Remington SP10 and he still loves that gun to this day. He buys shells by the case!

Deja vu

I had a SXS 10 ga for many years but I sold it to a collector a few years back when I was trying to cut back the types of ammo I have.

bamaranger

Brwoning BPS

I had a chance at a Browning BPS-10 that had been heavily customized as a spring turkey gun,.......... barrel bobbed, rifle sights, custom choke pressed in, space finish on metal. It could deliver a killing pattern of lead #4 to ranges hard to believe, and I had watched its owner kill a gobbler in the open at a distance that bordered on incredible.

But..........it was heavy....I mean HEAVY, and humping that monster all morning trying to catch a ridge hopping gobbler, or holding it up and ready on a gobbler not quite clear was a dubious thought, so I passed on it.

Flapjack23

I have a buddy that had one for waterfowl. I think mainly more money, less use. Hes a solid 12G guy now, I think he sold it. I shot it once....

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
I have an H&R M176 that I love to shoot, Mostly #3 steel shot or Remington Premium #4 shot because they are the best the best grouping loads in my gun. No shot groups bad except buck shot but they were just a bit better. A few shots every week or so to make sure I keep the feel of the gun in my muscle memory and because it tickles me giggle to watch the targets blow up so energetically. :D

mo84

I have a browning pump BPS 10 ga that I bought off my dads buddy and have used it for squirrels, which did not really harm the meat much, just gave me a wider pattern. I have used it for deer hunting also. I love it; I just wish the ammo for it was cheeper. It is not to bad if you reload your own shells though. I wanna try goose hunting so I'll probably use it for that also.