10/22 Won't Eject Magazine

ScotchMan

I have an AMT Small Game Hunter II, this is a clone of a Ruger 10/22. Everything I've read is that they are identical and production stopped after Ruger sued them over it.

Anyway, when I got mine, I was given a 30 round clip. I purchased a new Ruger brand 10 round rotary clip. When I try to unload this clip, I press the magazine release paddle, then pull as hard as I can on the clip and can not get it out. I have a very very small amount of the clip to grab, just the indentation on the bullet side of the clip (the direction the bullet points).

Ultimately I have to lock the action open, stick my finger in there and push down REALLY hard. Both my index fingers are all cut up from doing this. It's very frustrating.

I can get the 30 round clip out, because its huge and gives me something to hold on to. But I can't get more of them here (NYS they would have to be pre-ban to be legal) and I kind of want more than one clip for this thing.

I've oiled all of the moving parts around the chamber, there doesn't seem to be anything that pushes the clip out, only a release. Is this an issue or am I doing something wrong?

Pahoo

They can hang up !!

My SWAG is that it is dragging on the side walls. Another possible cause is that your plunger is not entirely clearing the the magagazine. This can happen is you have some dirt behind the plunger. I have only see this kind of restriction on an older 10/22 that had not been cleaned for a long time. also look at the face of the plunger and see if there is an obstruction in the small hole. It's not all that difficult to remove and clean the release and plunger. Just one small pin to push out. A 10-round OEM magazine should practically fall out when you toggle the release. Good luck !! ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

ScotchMan

The plunger is going back enough to clear the wall, and there's nothing in the hole. The 30 round magazine doesn't FALL out but its very easy to pull out given something to hold on to.

Pahoo

Keep listening, the 10/22 will show you the problem

Then I would say that some of your clearances are a little tight and that is hard to say, on these 10/22's. Keep working it and watch it. Lock the bolt back as you have been doing and keep working it and looking for the hang-up. These magazines should practically fall out without all that much effort. .... :)

Oh, by the way, You don't have to replace it with the Marlin Mod-60. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

ScotchMan

I'm looking to replace it with a Savage MkII BTVS actually, depending on when funds allow. Half of what I want to shoot out of it won't cycle the action on the 10/22 anyways (CB Longs). And a semi-auto is a poor bolt action rifle.

jmr40

I have a Ruger 10-22 in an aftermarket stock that would do that. The mag was touching the sides of the stock. After a bit of trimmng on the inside of the stock I had no more problems.

kozak6

You may need to sand the inside of the stock to create some clearance.

The old style magazine release for the 10/22 is awful. It would definitely be worth replacing or modifying.

ScotchMan

Well I didn't *buy* anything. It was a gift from my dad, not sure when he picked it up. I probably wouldn't have bought the clone because I'm a brand-name snob.