10/22 twist rate and ammo selection

Mylhouse

Does anyone know the twist rate of the Ruger 10/22?
Will the new Aguila 60 gr .22 lr stabilize okay in the 10/22?
What kind of velocity would the Aguila get out of the Ruger's 18 1/2" barrel?
What velocity does the Remington "subsonic" load get in the 10/22?

If anyone has any of the above information, it would be greatly appreciated! Inquiring minds want to know!

Mal H

Staff
Mylhouse - Here's a method so you can find the twist rate yourself. It's a handy thing to know since not all rifles of the same make will have the same twist rate. For example, the Mini-14 has been made with 3 different twists at one time or another.

Take your cleaning rod and attach a fairly tight patch. Add a small flag of tape to the rod near the handle end or just make a mark on the rod. Lay a yardstick down with the flag at 0 inches. Then pull or push the rod until the flag or mark has made one complete turn. The distance it travelled along the yardstick is the twist rate. The rate is almost always a whole number so if you get 9 1/4 inches, it is probably 1:10 and the patch slipped a little. Do it a few times to be sure you're getting an accurate reading.

As for the Aguila or any ammo, you'll have to try it yourself. .22's are notorious for their individuality. One 10/22 might shoot it well, and another might get lousy groups with it. For stabilization and velocity questions, why not call or email the companies?

[Added later]
... and if you don't have a 10/22, but are just curious, my 10/22T has a twist rate of 1:16. YTRMV. This is just a guess, but I don't think that rate is fast enough to fully stabilize a 60 gr bullet if it is longer than the average 22 LR bullet.

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited May 24, 2000).]

Northwest Cajun

Mylhouse,
I have a midway S/S fluted barrel on my 10-22. Those 60gr bullets do not stabalize. I get about 4"to5"groups @50yds with them, every other brand I've tried shoots 1/2-3/4 inch groups@50yds. I only have a few left, I'll try them in my 10"contender pistol tomorrow and let you know how they shoot. The only barrel with the correct twist rate I've ever heard of and shoots them accuratly was a custom barrel made with a silencer.

I've shot steel plates with them, they sure do pack a punch!!! Where do you get them? I picked mine up last year in San Antoino just down the road from the dristubitor/ importer.I picked up a box of all their different types of ammo except for the corbrili(no gunpowder, just primer compound) I really like the Supermax stuff with the 30gr bullet. It's faster than CCI Stingers.
Hope this helps
Cajun

------------------
Laizzes Les Bontemps Rouler

Mylhouse

Thanks for the information. I don't have any of the 60 gr. ammo, because Dillon Precision is out of it. I was in their showroom the other day and they carry the entire Aguila line, but were out of most stuff. They said they should have everything in by June.

I'm going to give Ruger a call tomorrow and see if they can match a TR to my serial number.

Mal H

Staff
I'm puzzled. Did you try the cleaning rod method? It's as accurate as what they will tell you and a whole lot faster.

johnwill

I'm puzzled too! I've used the cleaning rod method for many guns, it's so quick that I can't imagine wasting my time trying to have some yoyo guess at what I have. :)

patrickt66

With my 10/22 I get about 1.75" groups with the 22SSS @ 50 yards. The Remington Subsonic's velocity is about 1050 fps at the muzzle. By the way, the 22SSS really does a number on raccoons and coyotes at close range.

Mylhouse

Thanks for the "rod" tip, but believe it or not, I don't have a cleaning rod. I use those "world fastest bore cleaner" pull-through do-hickies.