10-22 trigger tricks?

IronBalls

I just got another 10-22 and its got a nasty grainy trigger pull with lots of resistance. Any tricks for smoothing it out, without having to buy a trigger group for $100.
Im thinking polishing with semichrome- or new springs- what do i need to do to help it? (where to polish, what springs, or any other advice).

Thanks.

Ledbetter

Greetings

I also own two 10/22. If I were you, I'd install a Volquartsen hammer and see if that did the trick.

I've bought the Vq TriggerGuard 2000 (that name, sheesh), and although it is pricey, there is no risk or uncertainty involved in getting a reliable two pound trigger for your gun. The next best thing is just to install the hammer.

For my other gun, I had a local "expert" gunsmith do a $75 trigger job. Let's just say it was unsuitable and leave it at that. I had to test fire it and take it back and test fire it and take it back again. I ended up installing the Vq hammer to salvage it. If I had it to do again, I'd just buy another complete TriggerGuard 2000 and be done with it.

Also, go here

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/mainsite.htm

and ask your question on Giz's 10/22 Action forum.

Good luck.

Legionnaire

I'll second Ledbetter's suggestion for the Volquartsen hammer. It's a drop-in. And while you have it apart, consider putting in their automatic bolt release and extended magazine release. The three together make a world of diffence in the handling of your 10/22.

M16

I bought the 10/22 gunsmithing video from Clark Guns that show you how to tune your own gun. I have a low opinion of most gunsmith videos but this one is excellent. Now I do my own trigger jobs. It's really not that difficult to redo the stock Ruger hammer and come out with a excellent pull.

IronBalls

thanks guys...especially for the rimfire sitght (i forgot all about that place).

I did some poking around and ill go for the Hammer first, and maybe do a little polish job and see how it works. Now its just about finding a good price on it, and the auto-bolt release. I just read the target hammer add from Volq and it looks good:

"Our target hammer is designed to give the stock Ruger 10/22 a superb "trigger job" by simply installing our hammer. No stoning or fitting is required to sear or springs. Our target hammer may appear similar to the production hammer but is geometrically advanced in the sear engagement area. It is sapphire honed for superior hardness and lubricity. Trigger pull is reduced to 1.75 - 2.25 lb. depending on the gun."

So thanks guys, and another fether in the hat of TFL-

Gewehr98

Careful with those 10/22 mods...

'Cuz you just may keep going with them, it's a cruel addiction! Sure, first, it's a hammer, then a bolt buffer, then a titanium trigger, an extended mag release, add a hands-free bolt release, install a titanium sharp claw extractor, add hammer and trigger shims, then you mill the boltface, install a heavy barrel, new stock, big scope, oh, the humanity! ;)

View

IronBalls

Gewehr98- you already got me down pat. The day i brought it home i had a BC stock and 20"blue bull waiting for it, along with a 4x30 simmons. This is my second 10-22, my other has the Volq carbonfiber barrel, barrel weaver mount, hogue grip and red dot sight. I only know of those mods that i put on, but the neat thing is, i got that action used for a song- and it shoots so sweet, maybe a 2# pull already...and i cant tell whats in it to make it work so much better than my new rifle. maybe just a million rounds or something, or maybe mods, but the old gal has a real sweet trigger.