10/22 trigger/hammer work in plastic housings?

Pahoo

As most of you know, the new Ruger 10/22's are being supplied with synthetic/plastic housings and that includes the trigger. A friend of mine mentioned that he saw an internet shop, that will not do trigger/hammer target convertions, on rugers with plastic housings. He could not recal where he saw this. I no reason why you can't and wondering if you folks know of any reason why you can't or perhaps, should not. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Be Safe !!!

LukeA

I saw on the Sportsman Channel a couple times a little segment where they tested the metal trigger guard against the plastic one by dropping a weight on them from equal heights in a lab setting and, less scientifically, by backing a Sierra over each one. In both cases, the plastic guard sustained less damage. The metal guard broke in the drop test and dented with the pickup on it, while the plastic one appeared undamaged in both tests.

I think that the guy who won't service plastic trigger guards may just suffer from a case of (caveman voice) "plastic BAD, metal GOOD!"

madcratebuilder

There is nothing wrong with the composite trigger housings on the newer 10/22's. They take a trigger job just like the aluminum ones.

jmr40

They replaced a cast aluminum housing with a stronger plastic version. While lots of guys don't like plastic, this is an improvement.

Evyl Robot

I had no idea that the plastic was actually sturdier than the aluminum. I suppose I was suffering from a case of "plastic BAD, metal GOOD!" :D

I bought my son a used 10/22 for his 10th birthday (his very first gun). It's an oldie but goodie - beautifully blued barrel, walnut stock, etc., etc. Later, I wound up buying a new one for my wife and I to shoot. Parkerized barrel, wood stock with a walnut stain, plastic trigger group, etc., etc. We bought the new one for ourselves because we couldn't find another used one at the time.

It made me feel a little guilty for giving him a used one and then buying a new one for our use - until I compared the two side by side. His really is a far more beautiful gun! Don't get me wrong - the new one knows its job and does it well. But, there's something to be said about genuine walnut on blue steel. Am I being too sentimental?

Brasky

FWIW- the Clark Customs trigger kits (hammer, sear and springs) note in their product description that they will work with the new plastic trigger housing.

Dfariswheel

Some gunsmiths won't work on the plastic units because they think the plastic may have enough flex in it to cause a varying trigger pull.

There is a fair amount of stress in the trigger unit and plastic will flex slightly. How much a really good shooter might notice any variation or changing trigger pull is debatable, but some gunsmiths think it's enough not to work over a plastic unit.

Pahoo

Dfariswheel
Thanks and that is what I was looking for as my intention was not to bash but to try and understand their reasoning. I feel that for the most part, this is a judgement call and based mostly on feelings. The average 10/22 use, is recreational/hunting and any possible flexing won't have any effect. I have performed trigger work on plastic as well as Alum. and see no difference. Flexing might effect the trigger pull rather than outright operational faliures. I sure as heck cannot tell the difference between a 2-lb and 3-lb pull.

BTW; The flexing concerns could be debated but that would be another post. ;)

I thank you and always;
Be Safe !!!

ThomasT

I looked at 3 10/22s yesterday at a local GS. I don't mind the plastic trigger so much but couldn't stand the rough finish used on the new guns. I like 10/22s but think I will look for the older versions of the guns. I have two older ones and am glad I have them.

I thought the new triggers were supposed to smoother and didn't really need to be worked on.

Pahoo

I like 10/22s but think I will look for the older versions of the guns. I have two older ones and am glad I have them.
You are not alone on this and good catch and call. They are still great little rifles. Hang on to your older ones. Not only is the triggger plastic but the trigger housing is as well, along with a few other parts depending on your model.
I thought the new triggers were supposed to smoother and didn't really need to be worked on.
Well, they really don't need to be worked on but to date the only ones that come close to having better triggers, are the Target models. My trigger guage or scale, has a range of 0 to 6 lbs. Most OEM's go somewhere beyond the 6lbs. After rework, I will get all to go below 2.5-lbs. and one went to 1.8-lbs. There are other improvements you can make and they get sweeter. ... :eek:

Be Safe !!!