10/22 scope recommendations

jhf

I am building up a nice 10/22 and am looking for some recommendations on scopes. I am leaning towards something used so if you could also give me an idea of what a good used price would be for your recommendation. thanks

Tom2

straght tube

I recently purchased a 10-22 for the umteenth time and decided it did need a scope. I wanted to mount it low so that let out one of the big variables with a huge bell on the front. I was looking for something like an AR scope, low powered, short, tubular. And cheap. Looked at shotgun scopes, as they are usually about like that. Had a Simmons shotgun scope (used) but the edges of the FOV were fuzzy. NOt a good example. Finally I found a straight tube used tasco at a show for 30 bucks. It is a 1.75-5 power variable. Has a big eyepiece, and longer than I wanted, but it was a straight "20mm" tube so I mounted it with Weaver rings and it sets pretty low profile on the gun. Just barely enough thumb clearance on the stock due to the bigger eyepiece. Works great. I have had those "see thru" rings on the Ruger with a big scope before, but it just looks too gangly, and awkward. And with the low power setting, I don't miss the iron sights. Maybe a red dot would work for you, they look like a fuzzy lopsided dot due to my eyesight. Have not tried the cheap small Chinese scopes yet. They look OK but I don't know how well they work.

Tom2

Ps

If you don't mind a bit higher profile, your best scope would maybe be one of the Leupold 4X rimfire scopes. I have had them on expensive bolt rimfires and they are very nice. But cost upwards of 175-200 used, sometimes. Depending on where you look. YOu might find a bargain on one. Still might try a shotgun scope for compactness.

Dave Markowitz

I just mounted a Nikon Pro Staff 4x32mm rimfire scope on my 10/22, though it isn't sighted in yet. The optics are nice and clear, a bit better than the Weaver 4x28mm rimfire scope on my Savage Mark IIGL.

I got the Nikon from Natchez Shoots Supply, who had factory-refurbished models for $69 + S&H; new ones go for $99. The refurbed one I bought had a couple scratches on the tube, nothing major, and certainly worth saving $30.