10/22 Ejection Problems

ocabj

I have a 10/22 with a Volquartsen tension barrel, Hogue overmold stock, and a Burris scope on a Volquartsen barrel scope mount. I just took it out to the range yesterday for the first time.

In the first 200 rounds, it had a lot of problems ejecting the spent casing. A lot of times, if you looked at the ejection port, the bolt was closed down on a shell that was half in / half out (like a horizontal stove pipe). After going through the first 200 rounds, the problem became less frequent, but maybe happened once per 30 rounds.

Is this just an issue of breaking in the rifle? Or is there a problem with the bolt or extractor?

I was using CCI Blazer (the standard stuff, not their specialty line of rimfire ammo).

The rifle was very clean and was oiled adequately (I'm very meticulous about cleaning and maintenance).

Also, for some reason, after firing the last round, the bolt did not lock back? Is that normal on a 10/22?

Savage110

I've had that problem too...

I'm pretty sure it's the ammunition. CCI Blazer is the only ammo I've used that's given me ANY FTEs with my 10/22. You might want to try some different ammo out.

I'd recommend CCI Velocitor... a bit higher powered, and my 10/22 (mine is the base model- std. bbl, blued, birch stock) absolutely LOVES that stuff. No FTEs/FTFs, and it's a bit more accurate than cheaper ammo.

Johnny Rad

IMHO, keep shooting!

I had many of the same FTEs and FTFs as you with my bone stock 10/22 earlier this summer. Interestingly enough, I also had FTE difficulty with the CCI Blazer in the beginning. With 800 rounds (last 200 were high velocity) down range now, my 10/22 is showing significant improvement! IMHO, keep shooting.

Check out these TFL links for more 10/22 information ... happy reading!

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120181&highlight=10/22

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117441&highlight=10/22

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118515&highlight=10/22

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117892&highlight=10/22

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117354&highlight=10/22

Edward429451

It may still need a little breaking in but more likely its the ammo. Federal stuff works good in my 10/22 and CCI Mini-Mags too.

I wouldnt blame the gun until I'd tried different kinds of ammo.

NINE

Yeah, try some different ammo. My 10/22 likes the federal 550 hi-V hollow point packs. Put a couple hundred rounds of hi-velocity through it... then see what happens. Give the extractor a cleaning every once and a while too... tooth picks help in getting some of the gunk outta there. If that doesn't help, maybe it is the extractor. Also, because of the new barrel, make sure that the extractor is properly lined up with the corresponding groove in the barrel.

Sling Shot

ocabj, I have not shot my 10/22 since Spring, but I do think it is normal for the bolt to not hold open on the last shot. Even with a Volquartzen bolt release, it will still not hold open on the last shot. The Volquartzen bolt release does make it easier for one to hold the bolt open when you pull it back, and it is easier to release than the standard Ruger bolt release.

Ammo could be an issue with the ejection problems you are having. Try some different brands and see what happens. From what I understand, one should break-in a 10/22 with high velocity ammo. The CCI should work good here. Do make sure the ejector slot in the barrel is aligned correctly. Also, magazines can cause a lot of problems if they are dirty and not tensioned right.

If you are still having problems with ejection after trying different ammo, buy a Volquartzen extractor, and see if that fixes it.

I put a Green Mountain barrel, Volquartzen hammer, extended mag release, auto bolt release, and a Volquartzen extractor on my Stock Ruger 10/22. I kept all the parts Volquartzen because of their reputation, but I did choose the Green Mt. blued 22 inch sporter barrel because it was a lot of bang for the buck.

I never did experience the problems that you are having with ejection. I am using low pressure WMT target ammo, CCI high velocity, and Winchester standard pressure Dynapoints without any failures to eject.

Lower pressure target ammo will probably give you more problems with ejection, so I would stay away from it, and just shoot standard pressure ammo or higher until the rifle is working right.

Once you get that rifle running right, do yourself a favor and buy some Wolf Match Target ammo for about $17.00 a brick. This stuff is the best bang for the buck target ammo going right now. Some times the WMT is hard to find, so you will have to be patient. SS

AmericaFirst

Reliability in .22 semi-autos

I had heard that the Ruger 10/22 was utterly reliable.
Does anyone know of any .22 semi that eats all ammo without belching? I would love to find one that worked all the time without it's "favorite" ammo.

Sling Shot

I just totally forgot the fact that you are using a Volquartzen barrel. I believe that barrel has a match chamber instead of a Bentz chamber. I think Volquartzen says to only shoot match ammo in their barrels, and that was the main reason I went with Green Mt. bentz chambered barrel. SS

ocabj

I using the Volquartsen THM Tension Barrel. I emailed Volquartsen and the only ammo they state you should not use is CCI Stinger (velocity too high, I guess).

I'll try some different ammo next time I can make it to the range (hopefully soon).

As far as the extractor lining up properly: How can I tell? Should I be able to see the slot in the barrel through the ejection port?

NINE

Stingers aren't too fast, their cases are "too long". Expensive replacement barrels have higher tolerances in the chamber and these longer case lengths may cause trouble. Kinda expensive for plinking anyways... ;)

About checking alinement; Open the bolt and manually, and slowly, close the bolt while closely looking at the extractor... using a small flashlight may help, but you should be able to see the groove near the chamber of the barrel. The extractor should enter this groove without any binding or grinding. If it does hit the side on the way in, or mash into the barrel(yikes!), loosen the hexbolts holding the barrel in place and properly line up the extractor and groove.

Tom B

After several range trips and about 600rds my 10/22 appears to be broken in. I have the Butler Creek CF barrel and everything else is stock. The last range visit I fired several hundred rds of CCI Mini Mag and a brand of subsonic which I do not remember. No reliability problems the last time at all. First several range visits I had many reliability issues. My Ruger seems to prefer the CCI Mini Mag.