10/22 deluxe sporter 22 inch barrel ?'s

monkeywithfire

I can find no info on this critter. Not even on the Ruger site. The longest barrels they show are 20 inches. It is a factory installed stainless barrel.

Can the barrel be free floated in the walnut stock?

Is there anything I should be aware of before doing this?

I totally dislike standard model 10/22's, lame accuracy, short stock, puny sight radius.

Love lots about the deluxe sporter with the long barrel but havent shot it yet.

Can I expect improved accuracy or velocity from the longer barrel?

Any info on this gun will be greatly appreciated. Thanks -monkey

rugerfreak

Go over to rugerforum.com-----there's lot's of talk about it there---just do a search. The stock on the Wal-mart special 10/22 isn't walnut---it's just plain hardwood---but it is in the Deluxe Sporter style.

monkeywithfire

Thanks Rugerfan

Yes,

I thought the stock was a little light weight for walnut. I

One thing is for sure, the craftsmanship of the stock is pretty darn poor. Wal Mart special is right.

well it's off to the ruger forums. later -monkey

blackamos

1)Yes you can free float teh barrel, but it is not that easy because of the single screw and the camed barrel.

2)You should bed the action first. This is not a hard thing to do but it takes attention to detal.

As for "Can I expect improved accuracy or velocity from the longer barrel? "

Yes and No. accurary might go up and velocity will definetly go down because the .22 LR will burn out in the first 13" or so of the barrel so rest of the way they are slowing down. But on the other hand this will bring them to sub sonic speeds so they could be more accurate.

monkeywithfire

Thanks Amos

Amos,

I didn't think I could totally free float the barrel but almost anything would be better than what it has now.

As you follow the barrel from the reciever to the muzzle sometimes the stock touches the barrel and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes on the left and sometimes on the right. Sometimes both or neither side at all.

I think I may keep it the crappy way I found it because I guess it was a limited run and although I bought it new with scratches it may have some minor collectability some day. Well, I'll probably put a Volqaurtsen hammer and sear on it and keep the old parts.

I think I'll buy an old beater and customize it with some upgrades. Until I bought this I thought all 10/22's were kids guns because they are so tiny. What a difference a full sized stock and a real sight radius can make.

thanks -monkey

Kernel

The 22" barrel is from Ruger's 77/22. It's the same as the 10/22 barrel in every way just longer. I've had a stainless 22" Ruger barrel w/o sights on my 10/22 for years. Talk to some Smiths that do custom work on 77/22 you can get old take-off barrels for next to nothin', maybe even free, since they probably toss'em anyway. -- Kernel

Correction: Oma is right. 77/22 barrels are 20", 1.5" longer than a standard 10/22 barrel. Trivia: Ruger's new 77/17 has a 22" barrel.... I wonder if if would fit the 10/22 Mag receiver?

Last edited:

9mmepiphany

77/22 do have the 20" bbl...the 22" ones are a special run just for the wal-mart order.

i've heard that you should avoid bedding the receiver and floating the barrel. the dangling barrel puts undo strain on the alloy receiver. i was told to bed the barrel and float the reciever :eek:

i've also seen a 10/22 that had the barrel floated and then a pressure pad (screw) added to the foreend for upward presssure on the barrel...you can also do this by shimming the foreend tip