1 Officer killed, 3 wounded.

Nimitz87

http://www.nbc6.net/news/14106283/detail.html?dl=mainclick

CUTLER BAY, Fla. -- A gunman armed with a high-powered weapon killed one Miami-Dade County police officer and injured three others Thursday and then fled the scene, causing a large manhunt that swept through a residential neighborhood, officials said.

Related Content: Live Video From Chopper 6 | Images

It happened in southwest Miami-Dade near an apartment complex on Southwest 143rd Court.

Miami-Dade police confirmed that three officers were shot and taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital. Another officer was shot and died at the scene.

Det. Bobby Williams said one of the officers transported was a female. She was airlifted to the hospital and is undergoing surgery. Williams said the officer was "hurt pretty bad."

He did not give details on the conditions of the other officers.

Williams said all of the officers worked out of the Cutler Ridge district and were part of a crime suppression unit.

Massive Search Under Way
Police Cmdr. Linda O'Brien said the officers saw a white Honda Accord driving erratically and attempted to stop the driver.

O'Brien said the driver, identified as 30-year-old Kevin Wehner, came out of the vehicle firing a high-powered weapon.

"Anybody that knows him, has seen him, call Crime Stoppers, call 911. Do not go near him. He's considered armed and dangerous," O'Brien said.

Police are searching a residential area near 129th and Southwest 203rd Street in Cutler Ridge. Residents in that area are urged to stay in their homes.

NBC 6's Hetal Gandhi reported that a shopping plaza in the area was shut down. She said that officers were also stopping and searching vehicles, knocking on doors, and questioning people in the area.

Authorities said it was incomprehensible that four of their colleagues had been targeted.

"You say that it is not true," said Robert Parker, director of the Miami-Dade Police Department. "You doubt it for a second or two."

Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez said numerous agencies were assisting in the search for the suspect.

"We need the community's assistance in trying to locate this extremely dangerous individual who's still on the loose," he said.

Schools Locked Down; Turnpike Closed
Seven schools are on lockdown because of the shooting -- Holy Rosary School, Rainbow Christian, Pines Villa Elementary, Mays Middle, Centennial Middle, Wigham Elementary and Coral Reef Montessori. Florida's Turnpike was closed at Hainlin Mill Drive (216th Street) but has since reopened.

NBC 6 News and NBC6.net will have more details as information becomes available

happened at 11ish this morning. I was with a friend of mine who is a detective down in that area and we got the info over the radio while it was happening...very scary to hear that over the radio.

they are still searching for him.

Chad

Manedwolf

He obviously knew how to use the AK (probably not really an AK, just a semiauto WASR or such) if he could hit four officers with it. One might call him..."trained". He was wearing body armor, so expected to get into a firefight.

14107158_320X240.jpg

Not saying more than that. Draw any conclusions you wish, I have my own suspicions.
To that end, while I normally hope the officers can shoot this sort, I'd like this one to be captured and interrogated.

And I just wish condolences to the families of the officers.

rampage841512

Fox News is reporting he bought 3 AK-47s recently, but I have to wonder whether they are actual AKs (which I really doubt) or semi-auto clones. Now the cry of "let's get these weapons of our streets" is beginning.

Nimitz87

new info! the 1st photo is NOT the suspect the 2nd photo is. the 1st photo is kevin wherner and is NOT involved with the case what so ever. the real suspect is Shawn Sherwin Labeet a black male, 25 years old, 5'10

they believe that he was using kevin's name under a false id.

interesting...

the 1st picture is kevin wherner and lives in jacksonville and is 100% completely innocent. 2nd picture is picture of actual suspect.

art.miami.suspect.mdpd.jpg

11_61_labeet_shawn.jpg

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:

sholling

I just have to wonder what kind of degenerate moron would shoot police officers. My heart goes out to the families and friends of those officers.

Slugthrower

Definitely a degenerate and apparently a moron, seeing as it would take a person with the intellectual capacity of a 13 year old to kill police officers as if they were nothing more than animals. +1 Sholling.

Hope they catch this creep, he needs to be dealt with and quickly. This has me wondering what this individual's motivation was for such heinous behavior.
They say he purchased 3 AK clones. Wonder if those were straw man purchases?

Bud Helms

Two separate pics in two posts look like the same picture to me. One is cropped and is a close up. What's this about a 1st and 2nd picture?

Edit: Okay, I followed the link. Is the picture of Shawn Sherwin Labeet one of those?

Jkwas

They caught up with him last night in a condo in Pembroke Pines. He fired at the officers, they fired back and killed him.

Manedwolf

I'm wondering just how he bought the guns!

News is now mentioning prior convictions for aggravated assault. How was he able to make the purchases, if they knew he bought three?

He also seemed to know what he was doing. I've seen video of someone who did not know what they were doing, spraying a police car behind him with an AK, and he thankfully never hit the officer. This guy got all four in the initial incident and none were able to return fire to hit him.

The fact that he knew how to use the AK accurately and was wearing body armor still suggests a deeper motivation, to me.

Jkwas

Apparently he bought it thru the mail.

Carlos Baixauli is a Miami-based special agent with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. He says the numbers reflect growing availability of the weapons and their elevation to a status symbol among gang members. He adds that the guns are readily available on streets or can be ordered by mail for under $200.

You knew this was coming :barf:

FALPhil

Manedwolf wrote:The fact that he knew how to use the AK accurately and was wearing body armor still suggests a deeper motivation, to me.

You think??

Later Friday, Labeet's brother, Shane Labeet, 32, was charged with aiding his brother's flight. Also arrested was Shawn Labeet's nephew Jaleel Torres, 22, who was charged with resisting an officer with violence as investigators tried to question him about his uncle's whereabouts.

Labeet is also the stepbrother of the U.S. Virgin Islands' most wanted criminal, Ishmael Ali LaBeet, said Miami-Dade police Cmdr. Linda O'Brien.

Three decades ago, Ishmael Ali LaBeet and four accomplices opened fire during a robbery on St. Croix, killing eight people. They were caught and convicted of murder, but LaBeet escaped and hijacked an American Airlines jet to Cuba in 1985.

Manedwolf

He adds that the guns are readily available on streets or can be ordered by mail for under $200.

ONLY TO BE SHIPPED TO AN FFL for a full background check!!!

I hate those BATFE liars. Anything they can distort, they will. :barf:

homefires

Q/1 Who's ID did he use to obtain the fire arms?

Q/2 What was his mission?

No matter what Gun Laws could be in place, this guy would have found some means to obtain what he needed!

Manedwolf

Latest is that he used a stolen ID to buy the guns. Which yes, proves that if a criminal wants something, a criminal will get something.