1/9 18" - can it take it?

CzCasull

Hello all,

I found an 18" 1/9 that I like but... I want a 1/7 since everyone says it matters with the ss109's and whatnots. Is it actually okay out an 18" or should I hold up for that 1/7?

P.S. Answer if you really know, please.

mc223

You think you might ever want to shoot 40 or 50g varmint stuff? If not get the 1 in 7.
I want a 1/7 since everyone says it matters with the ss109's and whatnots
That says to me that everyone wants you to have a 1 in 7. But you say you want the 1 in 9 cause you like the upper.

I like the 1 in 9 just fine. I have a couple of them.

I also think that unless you are shooting the 80 grainers all the time there is no need for the 1 in 7.

But Hey what do I know?

o

Last edited:

madcratebuilder

This chart is a general rule of thumb, YMMV.

50923489.jpg

Both my 5.56 rifles are 1/9, my next barrel well be a 1/8 to see how it handles the heavy stuff.

Jim Watson

The 9" twist will shoot M855/SS109 (and anything with a shorter/lighter bullet) and up to a 69 gr Sierra Match King just fine, the military 7" twist is to handle the very long tracer bullet.

Most of the heavier bullets are meant to be seated long and single loaded for target shooting. The main exception being the 77 gr magazine length bullets as used in Mk 262. Sierra recommends a 8" or faster twist for them.

Wyosmith

I have made MANY ARs with 1-9" twist barrels They shoot very well with 70-75 grain bullets. I admit a 1-8" is a bit better for 75 grain bullets at 600 meters, but only a very little bit.

At 1000 yds the 1-7 seems to come into it's own (as well as the 1-6.5" twist.)

The reason is that it takes a fast twist to keep 80 gr VLD bullets stable when they are just barely super sonic. At 1000 yards the 80 gr bullets are only going about 1100FPS.

If you are not going to shoot exclusively long range, and exclusively bullets over 69 grains, I would actually recommend a 1-9" OVER a 1-7"

wnycollector

My 20" 1:9 loves Black Hills 68gr Heavy Match Hollow Point Ammo. I have taken it out to 300 yards and it shoots as well as Black Hills 77gr match kings out of my RRA 18" with 1:8 barrel.

Achilles11B

Are you shooting anything heavier than 68gr ammo? Also, what do you want to do with the rifle once assembled? If it's serious long-distance shooting, maybe 1:7 would work better due to the usage of heavier bullets. Or, maybe you still want to use heavier ammo but for HD purposes, or you're keeping your general shooting distances kind of close, then maybe 1:9 would be a better investment.

PawPaw

Everybody doesn't say it.

My two .223s are 1:9 and I shoot 55-62 grain bullets in that caliber. I understand why some folks want to stretch the platform and use 75 grain bullets, but I don't see the utility. If I want to shoot heavier bullets, I step up the caliber and get in the 6mm class.

But, I understand why some folks want to shoot those long bullets.