1:8 rifle twist AR

ms6852

I own the RRA predator pursuit with the 20" heavy barrel and 1:8 rifle twist. I normally shoot and reload 75 gr bullets with sub-moa accuracy. I was wondering what is the smallest grain bullets your rifles like with a 1:8 rifle twist?

I know that all rifles rifles will be very particular with certain bullet lengths and will shoot same bullet lengths very different from different manufacturers. Just wondered if anyone has found a good recipe for a 45 grain bullet that will be accurate from a 1:8 twist. No real reason other than curiosity.

Gregory Gauvin

Did you, perhaps, request a load for 55 grains? I have shot, with sub MOA accuracy, GI pulled bullets. My 1:8 barrel, as well as a 1:7 and 1:9 barrels enjoy a 55 grain pill on top of a 25grn charge of H4895 COL 2.240" with a crimp of .244", win SRP, FC rem commercial brass mostly... I have also tried 25.5 grains and couldn't note much difference but manual says max charge weight is 26 grains. The 25.5grn charge shot the same, but was noticeably warmer. I was going to see what 25.2grns did and if made a difference.

As far as 45 grain bullets...I have not tried. 55 grain bullets shot accurately at 100 yards with 1:7 twist barrel, have not pushed them out further. I have shot with accuracy 55 grainers out to 200 yards with a 1:8 barrel. Not sure if you will find diminished accuracy past 100 yards with a 45 grain / 1:8 twist combo.

ms6852

Mine shoots 55 gr pretty accurately as well, but mainly in the mid range velocities. My best shot group was using 24.7 gr of H4895. My brother got invited to go shoot jack rabbits, which are over running a section of a rancher's section of land in which he wants to start grazing some cattle. So I thought maybe a 45gr would be okay but was very doubtful, because of the rifle twist. I was just hoping some one had already researched this and had done some testing without me having to actually do it. I'll probably just stick to my heavier bullets since I already know what my rifle likes. Thanks anyway, I'll be using my CZ 22 magnum and my AR on longer shots.

darkgael

best group

When I was doing load development some years ago for a Colt HBar 20" 1-8, I shot an honest five shot 1/2" group at 100 yards using a Hornady 52 grain A-Max. Best iron sighted group that I have ever shot with any rifle.
Pete

Mobuck

I really don't pay much attention to twist rate anymore (as long as it's between 7 & 9). Put some different bullet weights through your rifle and see what happens. Remington and Winchester market an economical 45 grain HP varmint load so a factory load test won't be too expensive. I use Fiocchi 40 grain in my Howa but it has something like 1-10. I have run the 40's through a 1-9 AR but chose to use 50's instead(mainly because I wanted to reserve the 40's for the Howa since they're OMG accurate in it).

kraigwy

I have a Mann Accuracy device. In case one doesn't know what it is, its a heavy short super accurate barrel stuck in a tuned action, fired remotely from a V block, used by the Military to test ammo.

(picture below).

Mine is a 5.56, in a Remington Action. 1:7 Kart barrel. I have a report on the Mann which talks about ammo for testing the device.

For the 1:7 5.56, they (the Army) loaded Remington Brass, 25 Grs of 3031 and 52 gr Match bullets.

I'm sure if the Mann's 1:7 can shoot 52 gr pills, you wont have any problem in your 1:8. Besides the Mann, I have two ARs in 1:7, and one AR in 1:12, plus a Remington Varment in 1:12 (this was the rifle I use to carry as a LE sniper rifle).

I tired the load mention above in all my 223s, plus the Mann. It was the most accurate load I ran across in all my guns.

The MANN: The last picture is an older M1903A3 Action Mann to show how they were fired.

Chamber%20Markings.jpg

2.JPG

1%20_2_.jpg

case_71_Mann_barrel_shooting8x10JPE.jpg

ms6852

Thanks for the replies and info guys. I'll do some tests with the 50 gr and 52 gr and see how my rifle likes it. Maybe I'll just buy a box each of factory ammo and see how it shoots it. I think it's better than buying 100 RD box of bullets and finding out it does not like it and I'm left with a lot of bullets.

If I get a decent 5 shot group of 1 inch moa or better with the 50 or 52 gr bullets I'll reload them. Thanks again guys.

Hunter Customs

I have an Armalite VSR with a 18 inch 1in8 twist barrel and 223 Wylde chamber.
I've been shooting some Black Hills remanufactured 52 gr match in it.
I shot a 12 shot group at 100 yards the other day that measured 1.5 inches. 10 of those shots was in a nice 1 inch group.

Not making any excuses but my current neck problems makes it difficult to shoot from my shooting bench, my bench is getting loose and needs rebuilt, plus there was a pretty good wind blowing from the South and I'm shooting to the East.

I've been thinking about trying some Black Hills 60 gr soft points or their 68 gr match to see what kind of groups the rifle will shoot.
I don't handload for my AR's but I may have to start.

I do have some Winchester 45 gr JHP ammo that I may try in the rifle, it shot .5 MOA in a Bushmaster AR varmint model I had.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

ms6852

That is pretty good shooting, actually really great shooting. Sounds promising for what I want. Thanks for the reply.

2ndtimer

My Stag Model 6 with 24" heavy barrel with 1 in 8" twist shoots factory Fiocchi 40 gr V-Max loads around 3/4" 5 shot groups, and smaller with my handloads with 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips or Hornady V-Max or Z-Max. My carbine (old model S&W M&P 15 Sport with 1 in 8" twist) shoots them into just over an inch. I have no problem with either one with bullets from 40 gr. to 77 gr.. And I echo the other posts regarding the accuracy of the Federal American Eagle 50 gr Tipped Varmint ammo, also have had excellent results with the Fiocchi Extrema 40 and 50 gr factory loads with Hornady V-Max bullets. Inexpensive in the 50 round boxes, with decent reloadable brass.

Llama Bob

Generally fast twist rifles have no problem with lighter weight bullets. The other way around (slow twist, heavy bullet) has problems. So since your twist is fast, try literally anything that interests you.

ms6852

Just bought a box of fiochhi 40 gr bullets and a box of 45 grain Remington at academy, can't wait til Monday to see how my rifle groups. Thanks for the replies.

ms6852

We're experiencing a little bit of moisture here in Texas the last few days so I'm going to wait til next week now.

Hunter Customs

We're experiencing a little bit of moisture here in Texas the last few days so I'm going to wait til next week now.

ms6852,

From what I seen on the internet of the moisture you all are getting, if that's a little bit I sure hope you all don't get a lot.;)

Best Regards
Bob Hunter