1-4 scope/Red dot combo

Seen a few set ups recently with a red dot and a 1-4x24 scope stacked on top of each other.

What is the point of this?

To me it seems a waste of time.
Is not the purpose of a 1-4 scope so you get the advantages of a red dot, yet also get a much better optic at longer ranges, hence making the red dot redundant?

Or if you find you are quicker at close distance with a red dot sight, why bother with a 1-4 scope and step up to a 2-7 or 3-9 size scope.
If you are going to use your red dot up close, then why bother having another 1x magnification optic?

Husqvarna

not having the bulk of a larger scope?

even thou I have seen hunting guns with reddots as secondary I mostly see it as a ISPC type thing

bamaranger

Seen that

I've seen that arrangement on competition guns, where split seconds matter, and you loose precious time dialing a scope up and down. And redundant sight systems are not a bad idea on a gun you are betting your life on, if you can stand to tote the weight.

I also believe an open dot is a tad faster than any tube arrangement at very close range, shooting very fast. A tube scope, like a 1-4x, seems not as forgiving with eyebox and eye relief in those instances when on the move or the gun mount is a bit unconventional, like in an odd position.

Watch some of the very fast 3 gun guys work a course with a dot and magnifying tube optic, and the speed they manage up close is phenominal.

I can understand that not having to adjust magnification and just change optic will be faster, but if you aren't going to use the scope on 1x, why bother with a 1-4, why not go to something with higher max zoom for the longer range stuff?

HJ857

I can understand that not having to adjust magnification and just change optic will be faster, but if you aren't going to use the scope on 1x, why bother with a 1-4, why not go to something with higher max zoom for the longer range stuff?

I agree completely with you on this. A true 1X scope is as fast as a red dot and having a secondary red dot on it is dumb. But you do have to be able to shoot with both eyes open to take advantage of it.

I do have an AR with the two optic set up. I have a red dot at 2 o'clock and a 3x12 scope on top. The scope won't even focus until 35 yards or so, making it nearly useless, rotating the rifle to 2 o'clock for the red dot is very effective, though you do lose some time during the transition, but you really gain effectiveness for long targets. I'm not sure I'd call it the best of both worlds, but it's a very good solution.

On a different AR I use an older Burris 1-4x XTR which is a really nice scope. The only note I have about it is that I've never purposely zoomed the scope to, say, 3x, on purpose. I'm just twisting the power ring while on the move. What would be best is a scope that is EITHER 1X or 4X, nothing in between, just flick a lever and you switch between the two.

I haven't kept up with what's on the market lately but there was a scope like that at one time, but it was crazy expensive. Great idea though.

boretech

Pretty sure this guy knows what he's doing.

tarangunx1200.jpg

I just use a NF 1-4x, with no MRD.