1/4 mile shot

thesheepdog

So over this weekend-after hours and hours of instructing an Appleseed-I had the opportunity to shoot KD 400 yards with my
M4 carbine (Daniel Defense 16" SS HBAR). This was at the Appleseed in Davilla Tx.

It was a windy day; wind was at 6 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 3 o'clock; blowing at about 7+ MPH with gusts up to 20 MPH.
I was very impressed with the accuracy of the Rifle at that distance. I was shooting from prone without the use of a bench and/or bipod/sling. My rifle was zeroed for 25 yards, and was dead-on at 300; about 3 MOA low at 400 yards.

Without the use of anything but my arms to support the rifle, i was consistently shooting half minute to minute groups at 300 and 400 yards (2-4 inches) during a 5 shot sight in. My groups opened up a bit more during a rapid fire course, but I was still hitting 4 MOA on that.
I was highly impressed with this kind of accuracy with just standard 5.56mm 55gr XM193 ammo.

I did happen to notice how much the wind can affect the 5.56mm round at that distance (3-4 MOA drifts from POA with full value winds at 7+ MPH).

But, overall, I am very impressed with ability of this Rifle. It also got a nice dose of sand just from the ground being so dry and from big gusts of wind-dispite that, the rifle functioned flawlessly.

I will also note I used a 4X ACOG for this course of fire, and I am a happy shooter. :D

Last edited:

kraigwy

Many people who haven't tried it fail to appreciate the 223/ARs at extended ranges. Either they haven't tried it or they buy the Internet myths that the AR is a short range only gun.

Even the M16a1s with the M193 55 grn bullets are capable of shooting past 300 yards quite well. The Army use to shoot a lot of Combat Matches (as issued M16a1s) on a KD course (100, 200, 300, & 400 yards). These guns did quite well at 400 yards.

Now with the heavier bullets (up to 90 grns) they are beating the 308s in 1000 yard Service Rifle Matches).

It's not that difficult if you understand the little gun. During the 'A1 days the BSZ was 250 yards. If you aimed at the mouth nose are of the target, you'd get a head out to 300 yards. The bullet is gonna be about 18 inches low at 400 yards with that zero. The e-silhouette target is 19 x 40 inches, so again if you aim at the head area, your bullet is gonna drop down to the chest are or about the center of mass of that target. A 10 mph wind is gonna move the bullet about 20 inches at 400 yards, so if you hold over a target width you should be on. (learn to use the front sight as a range finder.)

Again thats the 55 grn bullet out of an 'A1, the newer faster twist ARs and heavier bullets will make it that much easier.

Back to the old ideal, its the shooter, the gun can do it, we just need to get out there and play, learn to judge conditions and send bullets down range.

ndking1126

Good shooting! Sounds like a great time. I'm going out on Wednesday, but this range will only go to 200 yards.. Mine back at home goes to 400m. I'm at my dad's house, so it will be fun to shoot with him again.

4runnerman

Great shooting sheepdog. It's a blast and down right irratating some times. I see kraigwy chimed in to.(great source of advice) Use him a lot too.:) I shoot a custom 223,but the distance thing is very challanging and also very fun. Keep it up

5RWill

Again good shooting sheep. How do you like that acog? My friend just put one on his Rock River and i'm falling in love with that scope. I guess i wasn't expecting it to be as clear as it was. Either way i really really like the optic. Now having a hard time deciding between Aimpoint/Acog :rolleyes:

thesheepdog

Blackops,

I love the ACOG! At 400 yards my field of view was large enough to see my fellow shooters targets and call "hits or misses" with it (watching for dirt to kick up behind the target). :rolleyes:
The clarity is awesome! No distortion or mirage affected my ACOG, plus it has accurate IMC (inches, minutes, clicks) adjustment.

The only thing I didn't get to use was the BDC on it-being I zeroed at 25 yards to be zeroed at 300, then came up 4 minutes to adjust at 400 yards.

Major downside is the eye relief. Between shooting prone, standing and seated, I kept having to adjust the stock on my M4. Not a big deal, but just adds some extra adjustment.

horseman308

The AR/M-4 is a lot of fun at longer distances. My dad and I shoot an AR-15 that's got a heavy stainless match barrel and stock loaded with birdshot (it was built for high-power matches, I think) to shoot bowling pins and silhouettes at 400 and 500 meters. It's a lot of fun, and that thing is so heavy it's like shooting a .22lr off the bench - zero felt recoil at all.

5RWill

I wish they made an 10x ACOG, because while i love the optic i have a 14.5" upper and in my eyes i see a CQB weapon. But I have plans for a 24" varminting upper so i can just pop it on and go. And if they made a 10x ACOG for that i would take it in a heart beat.

thesheepdog

A 10X would be overly huge! :rolleyes:

As Kraigwy has told me in the past, a 6X optic is sufficient for up to 800 yards.
My ACOG would be good for up to 600 yards or less.

kenno

I qualed with an A1 @300 meters(?) on KD targets in a driving rain storm with steam comming off the barrel after 3 rounds and still got a decent score!
I hated the A1's handguards with thier cooling holes on the top!