'06 Barrel Length

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The '06 is a slightly overbore cartridge. It's not quite a magnum, but it shares the characteristic that longer barrels work better than shroter barrels.

My own pet '06 has a 26" barrel. My father's Springfield '03s were cut to 24". My opinion is that if you're going to a 22" or 20" barrel, you might as well go with a .308, except for the issue of heavier bullets in that shorter case.

You read the loading books, and max velocity from an '06 is generally with a 26" barrel. You can figure on a loss of some 75 ft/sec per inch of cut.

Art

thanks for the statement if it was a reply to my fruitless attempt to post then thanks!
What shoots better groups, the savage or the weatherby vangaurd deluxe?
I persoanlly like the vangaurd very much, especially with a accuracy guarentee!
Chase

BTW saw something online today, seesm to be the original 06 spring, then the "30-06' Springfield 7.62x62" ?? what is that? is it the same thing and the manufacturer goofed?
It was a knight ammo or something, anyway they had two 06' springfields by the same name except they had the foreign markings (mm) on the second
What gives?
Chase

DimitriS

VE,

Just the US Commercial name and the Metric name.

Different ways to name cartrages. One with Caliber + Some sort of name, and the other diameter in mm and case length in mm.

M1 30Cal Ball = US Military original name.
M2 30Cal Ball = US Military name # 2.
30-06 Springfeild. = US (Comman) Commercial
7.62x63mm = Metric.

They are all the same cartrage ;)

Sometimes a type of ammunition has one too many names and one with a 99 year history normally will have quite a few if you consider that it was used so extensivly :D

Dimitri

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
VE, I don't know if brand name makes any difference or not, nowadays. I always holler that folks oughta look first at the fit and feel of a rifle. Length of pull, the amount of drop in the stock, that sort of thing. then, aesthetics and price.

Checking the fit is just like with a shotgun: Mount it to your shoulder with your eyes closed, and when you open your eyes you should not have to move your head to be looking right down the line of the sights. (Or through the scope)

Accuracy, as in good groups? I've very often found that a bit of tweaking with the bedding of the forearm can cure most problems.

Art

Jamie Young

Accuracy, as in good groups? I've very often found that a bit of tweaking with the bedding of the forearm can cure most problems.

BTW I did what you suggested and it worked. My Pre-64 is now MOA. I've got pictures of one of my range trips from a few months ago. I got a .5 MOA improvement in accuracy.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Thanks, Jamie. Nice to know that every now and then I'm right about something. I'll have to tell the Wifemate. :)

Art