'03 Stripper Clips, need a source

"Aren't they the same as NATO 7.62 strippers?"

I don't think they are, are they?

Don't most 7.62 NATO strippers come in 10-round clips given the 30-round magazines, while 1903 clips are only 5 round?

mavracer

Don't most 7.62 NATO strippers come in 10-round clips given the 30-round magazines, while 1903 clips are only 5 round?
no they're 5 round and M1a/M14 standard mags are 20 round.
The 7.62 strippers are different as one of them has little nubs on the side and one doesn't.
I don't remember which is which and am not where I can look.

That's right, the 1903 Mauser style strippers have the nubs to keep them in the clip slots, and the M14 ones are inserted into loading keys that are slotted onto the magazine...

wogpotter

Actually I have some 10- round 7.62 strippers, but most are 5-round. I think I got the 10-round ones from DSA years ago.

tahunua001

go on ebay and buy a box of strippers for 6.5 swedish mausers. they fit springfields, 1917s, and arisakas and work smooth as butter, I prefer them to the actual 1903 strippers, I usually have to lube them up to get them to stripp smoothly, the swede clips, not so much, smooth as butter straight from the box.

tangolima

That's the one I got from eBay. Works very smoothly for my arisaka t38, t99, my 1903, and probably my 1917.

By the way, i was quite eager to find stripper clips at the beginning. Once I got them I seldom use them. Most of the time. I just load the rounds one at a time. Ammunition is too expensive to shoot fast.

-TL

tahunua001

I use them quite often. I compete from time to time in GSM matches so I keep in practice there and when I'm hunting, it's nice just to grab a couple strippers, throw them in your pocket and go. they are quite convenient.

jrothWA

as they sell new made stainless steel 5-round stripper for bolt actions.

The WWI &WWII have two pair of "teats' about 1/3 the distance from the end, whereas the M14/M1a uses only one pair at the mid-point.

Forgot to add: early Greek Cal.30 ammo was sold in the US and it came in the 5-round strippers, the the Garand clip later.

Last edited:

tahunua001

this is completely off topic, but since you brought up HXP surplus on stripper clips, did the greeks ever use bolt action rifles we loaned then or did it just take them a minute to learn to make garand enblocs?

jrothWA

During WWII the Greeks took any material for use..

during the nazi occupation.

So they got Enfields from the UK and 03 & 17 from OSS.

tahunua001

ok, I know we gave the french a lot of 1903s, but I wasn't sure about the greeks, I knew we gave them a lot of M1s post war(I think I own one of those), but wasn't sure about bolt guns.

P5 Guy

HXP for M1903

I have in front of me a full bandoleer of HXP, CAL. 30 BALL M2, 5 RD CLIPS, HXP 3002-62. So unless they were used to reload BAR 1918s I'm going with them using the ammo for M1903s of some sort. When the CMP first got the Greek returns I bought a Remington made M1903A3 from them, along with a M1 Rifle RG.

T. O'Heir

"...Don't most 7.62 NATO strippers come in 10-round..." No.
A BAR stripper clip will work just fine with your '03. .30-06 is .30-06. Any .30-06/.308 based case will fit on 'em.
Gunparts lists original steel '03 stripper clips at $1.80 each. $3.50 each for brass.

emcon5

I have in front of me a full bandoleer of HXP, CAL. 30 BALL M2, 5 RD CLIPS, HXP 3002-62. So unless they were used to reload BAR 1918s I'm going with them using the ammo for M1903s of some sort. When the CMP first got the Greek returns I bought a Remington made M1903A3 from them, along with a M1 Rifle RG.

I bought a couple cases of the Greek .30-06 probably 15 years ago, and they came on 1903 stripper clips in bandoleers.