0000 BUCK Load

deerslayer303

DISCLAIMER: This post is in NO WAY load data! Reloading is done at YOUR OWN RISK! This post is for entertainment purposes ONLY!

I just wanted to share. I have been working up a quad aught buck load for deer hunting. I've got it nailed down too and am super happy about it. I have been hand loading BP shotshells for quite sometime and wanted to experiment with Buckshot pushed by BP. Well my stash of 2F KIK was running really low. So for this experiment I grabbed a can of Pyrodex RS. I didn't have any 0, 00, OR 000 Buck pellets. But what I had plenty of was .375 round ball which is 0000 buck. So after searching the net I couldn't come up with any info on this here venture. I had to use 3" once fired red Winchester buckshot hulls. As they were thinner than any other hulls I had and the .375" balls stacked in them perfect without dimpling the hull. The load I found to perform the best was a Winchester Hull, Winchester 209 primer, 100 grains of Pyrodex RS, over powder card, two 1/8 hard felt non lubed wads, six .375 Round ball stacked by 2's ( yellow corn meal as buffer filled to top of pellets and filling in the space between the pellets), another 1/8 hard felt wad, over shot card, then the shell is sealed up with beezwax. After that the excess shell is trimmed off. My Single Barrel H&R full choked 28" barrel shotgun puts all 6 of those pellets into a pattern the size of my hand at 30 yards, 6-8" pattern @ 40 yards, and about the size of a dinner plate @ 50 yards. I had tons of enjoyment working this up. I started with a 70 grain charge and worked my way up in 5 grain increments until I reached the best performer at 100 grains. It seems the pattern tightened up the heavier the charge. I even tried an 8 pellet load but 6 pellets seemed to be the sweet spot. This load will be in the gun for next season. Thanks for reading and Happy SHOOSHTING!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Jim Watson

Interesting, I would not have thought .375s would stack in 12 gauge.
Interesting, too, that heavy loads pattern closer.
W.W. Greener described the old Field (English outdoor magazine) competitive shotgun trials and setting up so the competitors could not have separate loads, light for pattern, heavy for penetration. But they weren't shooting buckshot.

deerslayer303

Bamaranger, that would be pretty cool. I may have to get some brass shells when I get my SxS

GJeffB

Not trying to redirect the thread ...

Hand sized spread at 30 yards. Geez, can you imagine what kind of home defense load that would make? :eek: Not withstanding the smoke plume and a 28" barrel, I'm just envisioning 6x.375 simultaneously at 10-15 yards.

-jb

ThomasT

hanks for the load info. I have a bag of .30 #1 buck and may try loading smokeless in a 20ga hull with a regular wad with the petals cut of and see if the #1 buck will stack in it. I measured an empty 20ga hull because I wanted a single ball load and a .60 ball should fit. Like it is I load a two ball load with two 50 caliber balls in an SP20 wad because that wad doesn't have the fingers up the inside of the petals.

I may even try that with a BP powder load. What a hoot that would be. I really like my single shot shotguns including the two .410 H&R guns I own.

deerslayer303

I do have some pics but I can't get them to post for some reason. I'm trying to get a pic or two up of the results.

deerslayer303

I will note that if you are using hulls fires in another gun you will have to resize them my H&R Single Barrel seems to have a tighter chamber than my mossberg pump. A Shell fired out of the Mossberg is very tight in the H&R.